LIBRARY SERVICES UPDATE: April 8, 2020
The library will be closed from March 30th onward in accordance with the “Stay Home MN” Executive Order by Minnesota Governor Tim Walz. We are currently closed to the public until May 4th, and closure dates will be revisited on an ongoing basis. Please follow the City of Virginia’s website, the library’s website, and the library’s Facebook page for any updates about services.
To learn more about the Stay Home MN order, visit the following link to learn some answers to frequently asked questions: https://mn.gov/covid19/faq/
Our outdoor drop boxes are closed until library services resume. Please keep library materials at home in the meantime. Due dates of items have been extended into May and fines are temporarily suspended.
While the library is closed, library staff will not be in the building to answer phones. We encourage you to check your account online to check on statuses of items, or you can leave us a message which we will return when library services resume.
If you need wifi access, park in the library’s parking lot and connect to our wifi(s). We have two wifis to connect to: virglib1ll with the password bookworm, or virglib-mesh with the password bookworm1.
During this closure, we encourage all patrons to utilize our online resources. Please visit our website at www.virginiapubliclibrary.info for links to free e-book and e-audio databases, school and job resources, and more.
All events scheduled through May 29th have been cancelled. We will re-evaluate future events on an ongoing basis.
March 16, 2020
Dear Community Members,
As this COVID-19 pandemic continues, we wanted to provide you with an update on the Coronavirus National Emergency and our City’s response to this situation. This is a rapidly evolving situation. We are monitoring the COVID-19 situation continually and staff is consulting with federal, state, and county resources on this regularly. After consultation with our Department Heads, we are jointly issuing the following guidance:
– The Fire Station is closed to the general public until further notice.
– Please call 218-748-7520 or email email@example.com if you have any general questions.
– If an emergency, please call 911
– The Police Department general offices are closed to the public until further notice.
– Please call 218-748-7510 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any general questions.
– If an emergency, please call 911
PARK & RECREATION
– All private events scheduled at a City Park Facility (Miners, Kline Cuppoletti, etc.) will be held to the posted occupancy loads.
– Events of any size should only be continued if they can be carried out with adherence to guidelines for protecting vulnerable populations, hand hygiene, and social distancing. When feasible, organizers could modify events to be virtual.
– All City owned athletic facilities are closed to the public until further notice. This includes the Miners and the Tennis For All Facilities.
ENGINEERING/PLANNING & ZONING
– Effective 03/16/20, we will suspend all non-emergency inspections.
– City Curbside Recycling Services are stopped until further notice. You may deposit recycling at our 24 hour drop off site located at the corner of 15th Avenue West and 20th Street South
– Garbage service will remain operating as normal.
– This may change at any given time.
VIRGINIA PUBLIC UTILITIES
– VPU Main Offices are closed to the public until further notice. Any patrons who need emergency assistance are encouraged to call us at 218-748-7540 so that we can arrange a meeting
– We request that all customers utilize the dropbox outside the building for any payments.
– Visit our website at http://www.vpuc.com/ for online bill pay or for any questions.
– Essentia Health continues to closely monitor and work with community partners.
– Effective today, visitor restrictions are in effect.
– Most patients who have COVID-19 should be able to recover at home.
– All patients who have symptoms of illness are encouraged to start with a free online visit. Please visit essentiahealth.org or call 1-833-494-0836 to start this visit.
– All City Commission Meetings are cancelled until further notice.
– City Council Meetings will still be conducted and will remain open to the public, but we encourage all to watch the meetings on either YouTube, online at www.mesabicommunitytv.com or on Mediacom Channel 5
While we are doing our part to ensure the health and safety of all, we ask all community members to do their part as well. The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus.
Things that you as a community member can do right now:
• Remain Calm
• Wash your hands often and thoroughly
• Practice Social Distancing – keep at least 6’ from others and stay home when possible
• Stay home if you are sick, except to get medical care.
• Cover coughs and sneeze
• Wear a facemask if you are sick
• Clean AND disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily. This includes tables, doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, desks, phones, keyboards, toilets, faucets, and sinks.
For more information about COVID-19 please see the following resources:
• CDC Fact Sheet: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/2019-ncov-factsheet.pdf
• MDH Guidance: https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/index.html
This is an ever changing protocol. We will continue to take any necessary steps recommended by the CDC and MN Dept. of Health and will do our best to keep you informed.
CITY OF VIRGINIA
Mayor Larry Cuffe
City Councillor Charlie Baribeau – City Councillor Gary Friedlieb – City Councillor Julianne Paulsen
City Councillor Maija Biondich – City Councillor Steven B. Johnson – City Councillor Carl Baranzelli